Smiling Chef :)

Smiling Chef :)

Monday, May 31, 2010

Red Velvet Cake

This is my specialty! I first tried it when I was eleven years old. My aunt made some, brought it over to the house and I was hooked! I told my mom and that I had to try to make it. Both of my parents thought I was too young to bake an entire cake by myself. Little did they know that I was determined to make the best Red Velvet Cake EVER. I have tried many recipies but this is by far the best!

Ingredients
2 cups sugar
1/2 pound (2 sticks) butter, at room temperature
2 eggs
2 tablespoons cocoa powder
2 ounces red food coloring
2 1/2 cups cake flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup buttermilk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 tablespoon vinegar
Directions
1. In a mixing bowl, cream the sugar and butter, beat until light and fluffy.
2. Add the eggs one at a time and mix well after each addition.
3. Mix cocoa and food coloring together and then add to sugar mixture; mix well.
4. Sift together flour and salt.
5. Add flour mixture to the creamed mixture alternately with buttermilk.
6. Blend in vanilla.
7. In a small bowl, combine baking soda and vinegar and add to mixture.
8. Pour batter into 3 (8-inch) round greased and floured pans.
9. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Remove from heat and cool completely before frosting.

This came from Paula Dean's recipe. She's an amazing cook. She always makes me smile and inspires me.
http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

No comments:

Post a Comment